If you’re not a fan of your screen blasting your eyes with white light, you might like dark modes (the preferred app style of many, including night owls, goths, Sith Lords, and Laptop Mag staffers). YouTube is the latest of these apps, and even though Google hasn’t rolled it out to everyone yet, you can enable it immediately. This process used to be a lot more complicated and required coding and Google Chrome. YouTube seems to have seen the demand for this new feature and added it to the iOS app on March 13. Support for Android should be coming soon
How to Activate YouTube’s Dark Mode in a Web Browser:
- Click your Profile icon in the top right corner.
- Click Dark Theme.
- Click the Dark Theme switch.
How to Activate Dark Mode in YouTube for iOS:
- Tap the Profile icon in the top right corner
- Tap Settings.
- Turn Dark Mode on.
The following guide contains steps to enable YouTube’s Secret. Dark Mode, along with the ways to revert to the original layout.
While Netflix toppled it in the US some time back, YouTube remains the most used online streaming service, at least in India. Launched first in 2005, Google acquired YouTube from its founders in 2006, soon after which the streaming service quickly picked up the votes and was widely used across the globe. But, YouTube has a secret Dark Mode built inside, activated with some simple steps. So if being different is your thing, or you think black is simply cool, or you simply want to show off, here is how you go about moving to ‘Dark Mode.’
- Open the YouTube homepage in your browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, etc.
- Once there, Press Ctrl+Shift+I to open up the developer menu on Windows. Mac users can open the developer menu by pressing Option+Command+I.
- Navigate to the ‘Console’ tab and copy-paste the following code inside, and hit enter –
- After this, reload your YouTube homepage, and you will be then greeted with the new YouTube layout.
- The new layout, however, would still have a white background. To enable the Dark Mode, head to the three-dot menu on the top right corner (if you are not signed in) or click your YouTube avatar to get to a new drop-down menu. Enable the ‘Dark Mode’ here.
Note that entering the above code in your Console tab will change your YouTube layout for 1 year. To revert, enter the following code in the Console tab.