A lot of people continue to use the social network, there may be some information on your profile that you don’t want others to get a hold of that’s why setting up the two-factor authentication is always a good idea. The below methods shows how to set it up for Facebook.
- How to set up 2FA for Facebook on Mac
- How to set up the 2FA for Facebook on iPhone or iPad
1. How to Set up the 2FA for Facebook on Mac
This is an easy process, Getting two-factor Authentication set up on your Mac (or PC) from a web browser. When you are logged in to your account on Facebook, just follow these below steps:
- Click the Account button in the upper right corner (it looks like a triangle pointing down).
- Next, from the drop-down menu, click on Settings & Privacy.
- Click Settings.
- In the Left sidebar menu Tap on the Security and Login.
- Scroll down and click on Use Two-Factor Authentication.
- Choose your 2FA Authentication method. Your options include an Authenticator app (recommended) or Text Message (SMS) (less secure).
- Scan the QR Code or input the security code into your authenticator app of choice.
- Click Continue and follow the rest of the on-screen directions.
Once you have added your Facebook account to your authenticator app, it generates six-digit codes that you’ll need to input whenever you try to log in to your Facebook account. These codes expire after 30 seconds.
2. How to set up 2FA for Facebook on iPhone or iPad
On your iPhone or iPad, if you prefer to use the Facebook mobile app, then you can set it up from there as well.
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the menu button in the bottom right corner. It looks like three lines stacked vertically (hamburger).
- Scroll down and tap on Settings & Privacy.
- Tap Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the Security and Login.
- Tap Use Two-Factor Authentication.
- Choose your 2FA Authentication method. We recommend Authentication app because it’s more secure, but you can also use Text Messages (SMS) if you want, though it’s less secure.
- Tap Continue.
- Scan the QR code with your authenticator app, or tap Set up on the same device. You can also copy and paste the security code into the app.
- Once when you have set it up in your app, click on the Continue and follow the rest of the on-screen directions.
ALSO READ: How to Block a Page on Facebook using mobile
3. How to Set up Two-Factor Authentication on Facebook using a Third-Party App
- Open the Facebook app on your device.
- Next, select the three horizontal dots menu icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- From the list of menu options, Select the “Settings” options.
- Under “Security,” select “Security and Login
- Next, select “Use two-factor authentication.”
- Under “Add a Backup Method,” select “Authentication App.” Facebook will recommend a third-party authentication app if you don’t already have one installed on your device.
- On your device, if you already installed the third-party app then, use the QR code or copy and paste the code into your authentication app.
- After that, next select, “Continue” and the pop-up will say that Facebook wants to open your already-installed app. Select “Open.”
- In the text box, enter the confirmation code and then select “Continue.”
- You should now be able to receive access codes from your third-party authentication app anytime you try to log into Facebook from an unfamiliar account.